Yeah… weekend is almost here!!! Anyway, I was on this particular forum and there they have this Poll that asks readers to post thier “the top 10 applications you would install on a new PC” being a TechJunkie, I posted my choices on that Poll. So I decided to post those choices here, but here I will try to expand my choices. Since not all people have the resources to buy or obtain these software.
First stop, if I money is not an object, then I’ll just get me a Mac, since a Mac is what you call a complete computer. All you need to do is buy it. 😉
But if I have the money but don’t want to shell out for an expensive unit, then here are my selections:
1. OS > Windows (XP SP2) doesn’t matter. =)
2. MS OFFICE 2008
3. McAfee Internet Security Suite (Anti-Virus, Malware/Spyware remover, firewall all-in-one)
4. Spybot latest build.
6. FireFox (browser)
7. AOL 9.0 SE or AOL for Mac OS X (For my email and Messenger)
8. Yahoo Messenger
9. Media player (real player, QuickTime, divx)
10. PC GAMES.
But if you are on a very tight budget then you do not need to buy any of the software below, since all you need to purchase is the hardware.
1. Linux (Ubuntu Distro) (http://www.ubuntu.com or http://www.linux.org for other distro of linux)
2. Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org)
3. FireFox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html)
4. Real Player 11 (http://www.real.com.au/linuxplayer.htm)
5. Panda Security (for anti-virus and malware/spyware.)(http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/linux)
6. InkScape (for Editing pictures.) (http://www.inkscape.org)
7. Yahoo Messenger (messenger.yahoo.com – Browser base messenger)
8. gAIM (for my AOL Account)(http://www.pidgin.im/)
9. Amaya Browser and Editor (http://www.w3.org/Amaya/)
10. VMWare/ Emulator (for my MP3) (http://www.vmware.com/resources/opensource/)
Note: There are other open source programs that you can download and install on your computer for free. Just have to look for them or just visit http://sourceforge.net/, a web site that has a lot of open source project.
Last modified: January 30, 2009