If you’ve been following the Apple event from any of the live blogs that I’ve listed here, you probably know most of the rumors have been confirmed by Tim Cook and that the new iPad will just be called the new iPad, there’s no designation like 3, 4 or 5. Apple may be adopting the naming process with their other products like MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iPod Touches.
In anycase the new iPad is not a disappointment (for me personally), just having a quad-core A5X process, retina display and 4G, is reason enough to get a new iPad and for the record the new iPad will still have the physical Home buton. Also with this new iPad, Apple just left all it’s competitor eating the iPad dust, AGAIN!
Here’s the official specs of the new iPad.
- 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology with 2048×1536 screen resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Dual-core Apple A5X with quad-core GPU
- iOS 5.1
- Voice dictation; supports US English, British, Australian, French, German and Japanese
- 5-megapixel iSight camera with HD (1080p) video capture up to 30 fps
- VGA-quality FaceTime camera photos and video at up to 30 fps
- Wi-Fi hotspot (carrier dependent)
- Bluetooth 4.0, 4G LTE (700, 2100 MHz)
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- Accelerometer, Ambient light and Gyroscope sensor
- Digital compass
- Assisted GPS (4G models)
- Cellular (4G models)
- 10 hour battery life and 9 hours on 4G
The new iPad will be available on March 16 (Friday), in 12 countries namely United States, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Switzerland, UK and the US Virgin Islands. It appears that Apple wants the new iPad to be available everywhere as soon as possible. So we can just assume that the new iPad will be available in the Middle East (including the Philippines) at a much earlier time.
The retail price of the new iPad are; $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. iPad Wi-Fi + 4G for either AT&T or Verizon will be available for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model.
Update: For those want to watch the new iPad keynote again it’s now available at Apple’s Events page.
Last modified: March 7, 2012