Nikon just announced the first COOLPIX compact digital camera to be equipped with a DX-format CMOS sensor, Yes that’s the same sensor that Nikon uses on their DSLR camera like the one being used by the old Nikon D40 to the slightly newer D3000 to the D7100.
The Nikon COOLPIX A will also be using EXPEED 2 image-processing engine and support 14-bit compressed NEF (RAW) images. Nikon also developed a new wide-angle 18.5mm, f/2.8 (equivalent to a 28mm angle of view in 35mm format) fixed focal length NIKKOR lens that will exclusively be used for COOLPIX A. The Nikon COOLPIX will have a magnesium alloy for the body and a leather finish for an elegant yet strong build.
Nikon COOLPIX A specs:
- 16.2 DX-format CMOS sensor with EXPEED 2 image-processing engine
- 16.93 million Total Pixels (approx.)
- 1x optical NIKKOR glass lens, 18.5mm, f/2.8
- 7 elements in 5 groups Lens construction
- 1 x Lens Zoom
- Contrast-detect TTL AF
- Approx. 1 ft. 8 in. (50 cm.) to infinity focus range / Approx. 4 in. (10 cm.) to infinity in Macro close-up mode
- Supports SD, SDHC and SDXC memory card
- Monitor – 3″ TFT-LCD with 5-level brightness adjustment @921,000-dots
- Support for NEF RAW File
- Movies: MOV (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC stereo)
- Full HD video capture: 1920x1080p / 30fps
- Image Size (pixels) – 4928 × 3264 screen resolution
- ISO 100-3200 expandable to 6400
- ± 5 EV in steps of 1/3 EV Exposure Compensation
- Mechanical and CMOS electronic shutter
- Shutter Speed – 1/2000 – 30 s; bulb and time available in mode M (time requires optional ML-L3 remote control)
- Top Continuous Shooting Speed at full resolution – approx. 4 frames per second
- Continuous Shooting Options
- Aperture – electronically-controlled 7-blade iris diaphragm
- Aperture Range – 19 steps of 1/3 EV
- Manual flash control available
- Built-in Flash
- Hi-speed USB Interface
- Dimensions – 64.3mm x 111mm x 40.3mm
- Weight – 299g
- Battery rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL20
- Color: Black, Silver
Full specs here.
Nikon also developed a number of dedicated accessories that you can use with the COOLPIX A like the “DF-CP1 Optical Viewfinder, the UR-E24 Adapter Ring for attaching lens hoods and filters, and the HN-CP18 metal Lens Hood, which helps protect the surface of the lens and restricts light from passing through without negatively influencing images.”
The Nikon COOLPIX A will be available starting this March 2013 with a suggested retail price (SRP) of $1099.95* and will be available in Black and Silver.
You can read Nikon’s full pr here.
Last modified: March 5, 2013