The Surface Laptop may appear to an “affordable” version of the Surface Pro 2 but its specs are comparable to that of the Surface Pro. Microsoft even claim that Surface Laptop’s battery life will last for 14.5 hours, longer than any MacBook Air in the market and faster than the i7 Macbook Pro.
Surface Laptop will be running a new and redesigned Windows 10 S, apps for the Windows 10 S can only be install thru the Windows Apps Store. In order to install apps from outside source, users will need to upgrade to the Windows 10 Pro version, which will be free to Surface Laptop users until Dec 31, 2017, after which users needs to buy the Windows 10 Pro to upgrade.
Microsoft provided additional details regarding the hardware of the new laptop, confirming some of the specs that was leaked before the event.
Here’s the specs of the Surface Laptop;
- 13.5 in PixelSense Display, (2256 x 1504) @201 ppi, 3:2 aspect ratio, 3.4 million pixels
- Windows 10 S, upgradable to Windows 10 Pro for free until Dec 31, 2017
- Support for Surface Pen and Surface Dial
- Corning Gorilla Glass
- Processor: 7th Gen Intel Core i5 or i7
- RAM: 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB RAM
- Storage: 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB4 (SSD)
- GPU: Intel HD 620 (i5), Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 (i7)
- Front Camera: 720p HD camera
- Stereo microphones, Omnisonic speakers with Dolby Audio Premium, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Ports: USB 3.0, Headset jack, mini DisplayPort, 3.5mm AV
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac ,Wi-Fi wireless networking, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n compatible, Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Sensors: Ambient light sensor
- Battery: Up to 14.5 hours video playback
- Dimensions: 308.02 mm x 223.20 mm x 14.47 mm
- Weight: 1.25 kg
- Colors: Burgundy, Platinum, Cobalt Blue, Graphite Gold
The Surface Laptop is now available for preorder and price will start at $999 for the 7th Gen Intel Core i5, 128 GB, 4GB RAM configuration. It will start shipping this June 5, 2017.
Last modified: May 4, 2017