Twitter just introduced a native Twitter Lite app for old and slow android devices and currently testing it in the Philippines. Twitter said that the app will work on phones and only supports 2G and 3G networks, running Android 5.0 and up; available in both English and Filipino. Plus the installation will only take up 3 MB of space.
Philippines is the perfect test bed for Twitter Lite, because of its slow adn expensive mobile networks, popularity of android phones with small storage and not to mention Filipinos are heavy users of the micro-blogging network.
As reported by Ingrid Lunden on TechCrunch;
“The test of the Twitter Lite app in the Google Play Store in the Philippines is another opportunity to increase the availability of Twitter in this market,” said a Twitter spokesperson. “The Philippines market has slow mobile networks and expensive data plans, while mobile devices with limited storage are still very popular there. Twitter Lite helps to overcome these barriers to usage for Twitter in the Philippines.”
Twitter Lite Screenshots
Here are the notable features of the Twitter Lite App;
– Discover what your favorite sports, news, political, and celebrity personalities are talking about
– Like, share, or reply to Tweets in your timeline
– Write a Tweet to let the world know what’s happening with you
– See what topics and hashtags are trending now
– Be in the know about pop culture and entertainment
– Chat privately with friends, followers, your government, and businesses
– Reply to Tweets and photos
– Start a private conversation with anyone who follows you
– Customize your profile with a photo, description, and location
– Look back at your Tweets, Retweets, replies, media, and likes
– Don’t want to be public? You can make your account private so only people you want can follow you and see your Tweets.
– Find out who started following you
– Discover which of your Tweets were liked or Retweeted
– Respond to replies or be alerted to Tweets you were mentioned in
Its unclear if Twitter will introduce Twitter Lite in other markets but if successful, the micro-blogging company will surely launch the app in other emerging markets.
You can download the app by going to Google Play Store.
Last modified: September 27, 2017